The wandering Huseng.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Huseng
Former staff member

The wandering Huseng.

Post by Huseng »

Huseng is at present wandering around India.

Feel free to look at my other photos from around Bodh Gaya, Nalanda and Rajgir here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 38e5518413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plwk

Re: The wandering Huseng.

Post by plwk »

Gosh huseng, put on a saffron cloth and u'll have followers soon.... :lol:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote:Huseng is at present wandering around India.
:woohoo: :namaste: :thumbsup:

Keep them cards and letters coming!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I went to India in 2006...interesting time to say the least. Great pics! Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

1985 for me. Yikes, an I that old?? :shock: Great pics, Huseng!

Happy trails!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

KeithBC wrote:1985 for me. Yikes, an I that old?? :shock: Great pics, Huseng!

Happy trails!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
I was born in 1985, Keith.

:namaste:
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Huseng wrote: I was born in 1985, Keith.
Thanks, pal. Now I really feel old!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

KeithBC wrote:
Huseng wrote: I was born in 1985, Keith.
Thanks, pal. Now I really feel old!
Me too!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Where are you wandering to next?

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote:Where are you wandering to next?

Kirt
Presently in Sarnath staying at the Gelug-pa temple. Will head to Kushinigar tomorrow morning and stay there for a few days.

In maybe two weeks I should be at the Ajanta caves.

Here are the photos from Sarnath:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1c0ec8fb73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

So how is Sarnath?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Huseng wrote:
kirtu wrote:Where are you wandering to next?

Kirt
Presently in Sarnath staying at the Gelug-pa temple. Will head to Kushinigar tomorrow morning and stay there for a few days.

In maybe two weeks I should be at the Ajanta caves.

Here are the photos from Sarnath:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1c0ec8fb73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I need to make another pilgrimage there. . . that stupa is very influential. . . It definitely changed my life.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote:So how is Sarnath?

Kirt
Sarnath was interesting. The ancient stupa there is run by the government. The ticket checker at the gate just took my ticket and tossed it into a bag full of other tickets that had not been torn. Usually the staff are supposed to rip off the stub and hand you the other part of the ticket. I suspect the guy inside the ticket booth and him have a system where they collect all the untorn tickets, put them back into the pile in the office and take the money from the cashbox pretending they were never sold. Foreigner tickets are 100 rupees each, so pilfering several of those would make a tidy sum.

I even asked him for my half of the ticket and he said refused.

So, corrupt staff running a racket in a Buddhist holy site. That's India for you. Not as bad as the fake monks in Bodh Gaya.

I stayed at the Gelug-pa temple in Sarnath and ate so many vege momos across the street at the Tibetan cafe.

Kushinagar was nice, too. I stayed at a run-down dusty Gelug-pa temple there. Very cozy actually. The monk there was smiling and warm.

Lumbini is the most beautiful place I've ever been to in my life.

I added the Lumbini and Nepal photos earlier:

I had several deep experiences visiting the four major holy sites. When I first walked into Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya where the Bodhi Tree is I became speechless and wandered around feeling composed, but somewhat relieved in an odd way. I sat down some distance from the Bodhi Tree on a quiet stone bench and broke down into tears. I was not sad or upset, but shed tears for probably ten minutes or so. It was profoundly deep. I felt I had accomplished something I had set out to do long ago.

I think in some past life, or past lives, I had sought to visit the Bodhi Tree, but was probably in some land so distant that it was just not possible. Having done it now, I considered how much immeasurable merit and good fortune I must have, owing to the Buddha and countless teachers and Dharma friends, both in this life and past lives, to be able to actually visit the Bodhi Tree and pay respects.

I felt relieved and satisfied. Happy and content. I felt such gratitude to the Buddha. It was because he attained enlightenment there a few meters away from me that I have been able to cure myself of so much suffering. Moreover, it was due to a long chain of teachers, nuns, monks and devoted practitioners over the last 2500 years that I have the good fortune to study the Buddhadharma. I felt such gratitude to them and considered how in how many other past lives it was due to them that I didn't live a life of sloth and non-virtue. If I hadn't had the good fortune back then to study the Dharma, I probably would not be a Buddhist pilgrim at the Bodhi Tree today.

I had similar experiences where I just broke down into tears at Kushinagar and Sarnath. I just though about my good fortune and the merit I must have, which again I owe to the Buddhas and all my teachers and loving friends and family both in this life and past lives, to visit these sacred places.

I also just happened to run into a Dharma friend from Canada in Bodh Gaya. I saw this Tibetan nun at the internet cafe which looked familiar and sure enough it was my friend from the temple back home. Quite auspicious indeed. We share the same guru. I had a feeling before that it might happen. So, we had coffee and caught up. I hadn't seen her in close to two years.

Again, in Kathmandu I turned the corner to the stupa and ran into a "Dharma internet friend" from eSangha and Facebook. I knew he was in Kathmandu again after a retreat, but we had not been in contact yet or arranged to meet up. But I had a feeling in the back of my head I would run into him and sure enough I did. Right in front of the holiest stupa in all of Nepal, too! It was interesting because if I had turned that corner five seconds later I would have missed him.

These experiences have inspired a lot of conviction and insight into Buddhadharma. Strange things have occurred on my pilgrimage and I have learned a great deal from meeting people, visiting the sites, reading, reflecting, meditating and simply being at these places. I feel more confident than ever before that if I pursue the Buddha's teachings to their full extent I really can become enlightened, free from suffering and genuinely aid others. It isn't just some fantasy or dream, but a reality.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Inspiring post Huseng. Thanks for sharing that with us.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I'll also add that I started this trip in Hong Kong and was able to attend, thanks to Ven. Huifeng, a talk by Ven. Ajahm Brahm.

However, before the talk we experienced life as mice in the man-made maze that is that train station beside Poly Uni. in Hong Kong. :rolleye:

That was also quite educational and insightful. Ajahm Brahm was talking about tales of the supernatural at a science university. :smile:

He's a powerful speaker in real life. He knows how to tell stories and teach dharma very very well.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Huseng wrote:
I had several deep experiences visiting the four major holy sites. When I first walked into Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya where the Bodhi Tree is I became speechless and wandered around feeling composed, but somewhat relieved in an odd way. I sat down some distance from the Bodhi Tree on a quiet stone bench and broke down into tears. I was not sad or upset, but shed tears for probably ten minutes or so. It was profoundly deep. I felt I had accomplished something I had set out to do long ago.
Hi Huseng

I am not an avid poster either here or at any other site I am a member of, however when I read your post, in particular the part quoted above it reminded me of my life in India. I had the great fortune of living in Dharamsala for some considerable time (years) working as a volunteer teaching English in the Tibetan community in McLeod Ganj. I got to know many Tibetan people. One of the monks who became a student of mine helped me in countless ways. He is a very kind and considerate person and went out of his way to help me settle into my new life in India. He asked me if I would like to accompany him on pilgrimage to Bodhgaya. (Later on during my stay in India we also went to Tso Pema twice and travelled overland to Kathmandu together.) The first time I walked on the inner barefoot Kora a couple of hours after arriving it had a profound effect on me. I am still unable to put into words what it felt like. So thanks for writing about your experiences it was great to be reminded of Bodhgaya.

Regards,
rt
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Great pics!

Best,
Laura
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote: I had several deep experiences visiting the four major holy sites.
Very moving.

Are you at the Ajanta Caves now?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Presently in Guangzhou, China.

I visited Liurong Temple 六榕寺 this afternoon. As the story goes Chan Patriarch Huineng once resided there.

I'll post photos when I have the chance.

A few days ago I returned to Hong Kong and fortunately had the chance to have coffee with Venerable Huifeng again. Good dharma talk at Starbucks. :smile:

I've decided to postpone my return to Japan given the present circumstances there. I had thought it would be resolved before March 24th when I'm scheduled to fly back to Tokyo, but even now it continues. Worsens actually. Now they're saying the spinach and melt from the area around Fukushima has been contaminated with radiation. Some embassies are also advising citizens to leave Tokyo if they can. France is outright scared.

So, my visa is good until mid-April and I have the time, so I will visit around China. I had planned to come back anyway maybe during the summer, but now is just as good. I had originally just planned on Guangzhou and then back to Hong Kong, but I have a friend offering free floor space in Shanghai. I plan to visit Hangzhou, the old capital of the Song Dynasty among other places. If I'm really bold I'll go to Wutaishan, but we'll see about that. In any case, I will continue my pilgrimage and pray for all sentient beings at temples. I quite like Chinese temples except for those incense the size of rockets that devotees like to burn as offerings. The larger the incense, the more merit I guess...

My trip has certainly been eventful. It is going to be a lot longer than I had planned it out to be. From Bodh Gaya in India to Lumbini and Boudha Stupa in Nepal and Liurong Temple in South China -- going many places, meeting many people and visiting countless holy sites. Fortunately I have many generous friends both new and old who graciously provide for this pilgrim. :smile:
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

Thanks for sharing these photos. I was planning a vacation to India and then to visit friends in the US for 2010 - but ended up returning to England instead, postponing my vacation for some years. It is nice to see REAL photos rather than guide book ones !! :namaste:

Return to “Lounge”