forum rules

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
xylem

forum rules

Post by xylem »

i think more extensive and elaborate forum rules would be useful so that there are fewer problems with violations. this would probably greatly assist the moderators. it would also prevent users from accidentally causing problems. -xy
maybay

Re: forum rules

Post by maybay »

What prompts such a statement?
Shouldn't we be working toward closer understanding of each other so we can rely on ethics and trust rather than structure?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Persoanally I think the mods are doing a credible job and the rules seem to be working.

Historically the buddhist internet boards have been subject to attack by others of other view by attack by those of strong political view of very many sorts and descriptions and keep in mind that as much as one in ten americans are at any time in a state of active mental illness(not in remission not successfully treated at the moment)....guidelines on buddhist forums are very very necessary.

Without such and this has happened to many...they quickly fall into disuse and inability to serve purpose.

Buddhists are a minority in about any internet community local and global.
Such they must have protective influence.

As a aside I have seen on buddhist board peoples threatening to break others legs destroy their computers and threaten eachother with physical violence.
Overt political action by certain nonbuddhist groups I have witnessed...and peoples useing these places to sell things of various sorts, some in quite subtle manners.

I saw once on a board the board suddenly found to be inoperable. Then I found when it returned to have one of its members selling something to prevent such outages, this person later found to have connection to the outage......not a buddhist site but all sites are subject to the influence of such evils.

So these things we hazard..there is a history to buddhist internet some of it is not so pretty. Peoples poseing as monks or nuns who were not and then defrauding peoples...I could go on and on... there is in short a reason for close moderation.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
xylem

Post by xylem »

i would agree that the moderators are doing a fantastic job. i've just stepped over the line quite a few times now and am learning the ropes. that's all. the error is on the side of the neophyte (moi), not the moderators. -xy
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

I agree and will state once again as it bears stateing again.... :smile: this particular set of moderators here at this moment is a excellent group probably the best I have seen...

could change tomorrow but now...excellent...

Not to impinge the intent of the initial poster. He has a point of validity and is not impuneing upon the moderators but just adding a helpful suggestion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
maybay

Post by maybay »

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz ... isdom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Post by maybay »

bit difficult to listen to, but his message is sound
- Machig Labdron
xylem

Post by xylem »

maybay...

my suggestion is in response to some problems caused by inconsiderate use of the forum. -xy
maybay wrote:What prompts such a statement?
Shouldn't we be working toward closer understanding of each other so we can rely on ethics and trust rather than structure?
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings xylem,

The rules here are very similar to the rules at Dhamma Wheel (the Theravada equivalent of this forum) and at both forums they seem to work well, and are based on the "lessons learnt" from the early days of each forum, and the forums that preceded them.

If you require any clarification about specific aspects of the Terms Of Service, feel free to catch a member of staff via PM or (since you've started it) in this topic.

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
mint

Post by mint »

I wasn't even aware this forum had rules. The profligacy of people who say "bullshit," "goddamn," and other expletives without penalty has led me to believe this forum is about as open and freewheeling as any freethinker's forum.
xylem

Post by xylem »

retrofuturist...

i'm sort of doing this the other way around. i pulled all of my posts and am starting over.

-xy
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings xylem,

The rules here are very similar to the rules at Dhamma Wheel (the Theravada equivalent of this forum) and at both forums they seem to work well, and are based on the "lessons learnt" from the early days of each forum, and the forums that preceded them.

If you require any clarification about specific aspects of the Terms Of Service, feel free to catch a member of staff via PM or (since you've started it) in this topic.

Maitri,
justsit

Post by justsit »

mint wrote:I wasn't even aware this forum had rules. The profligacy of people who say "bullshit," "goddamn," and other expletives without penalty has led me to believe this forum is about as open and freewheeling as any freethinker's forum.
:rolling:

Apparently there are a few fora you've overlooked...all of which shall remain nameless. :toilet:
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mint,
mint wrote:I wasn't even aware this forum had rules. The profligacy of people who say "bullshit," "goddamn," and other expletives without penalty has led me to believe this forum is about as open and freewheeling as any freethinker's forum.
Well now that you know, feel free to report any posts that you believe violate the...

Terms Of Service
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just because a post is present in the forum, doesn't mean that it has been implicitly or explicitly approved or endorsed by staff. In many cases, such posts may simply have not been read. Everyone has a role to play in keeping the forum functioning well - staff and members alike.

Maitri,
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.

Return to “Suggestion Box”