Special Forum Status

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Urgyen Dorje

Special Forum Status

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

It seems that there are plenty of people who feel it is necessary and valuable to have personal identity of board sangha friends known, as that provides some sense of authenticity, and I would add, a sense of humanity.

It also seems that there are plenty of people who feel that it is necessary for people to share the indentity of their teachers. It makes sense, it does provide some context for what people are sharig.

At the same time there are people who are concerned about their identities being broadcast through a forum that is wide open to Google bots, lurkers from god knows where, and thousands of other anonymous people.

And at the same time there are people with just bona fide situations. I for one don't want to my family to know I'm a Buddhist, I don't want to loose my job, I don't want rednecks to beat me to death with tire tools, and my wife and I have a whole complicated thing with stalkers and crazy shit.

It would mean more work for the mods, but it would seem possible that there could be a restricted part of this forum, or part of the membership list, where only people who have fully identified themselves in a verifiable way could see the identities of others. I've seen that in professional websites. As a tourist, you see staff names, as a client you get staff CV's, contact info, and so on.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Special Forum Status

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

No need for a rule change either way, say who you are in the flesh world, or don't, say who you teacher is, or don't. Just follow the ToS guidelines and there is a wide range of how people can present themselves.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I understand the point, that some people do not take my word as serious as they would, if I wasn't anonymous. But this is a disadvantage I have to take. It is their decision to not listening to my words and they can do as they like.
In the past I met some really crazy people online, stalkers, baiters (and their mental state didn't improve but worsened while time is passing...) - I changed my identity in order to find peace. So that's why I don't care, if anybody likes to know my name. That is not my problem.
If I had to give my legal name to the public, even in a closed area, I would leave this board. No problem. Everybody can handle these things like they want, I have to do it like I have to. :smile:
HePo

Post by HePo »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:
It would mean more work for the mods, but it would seem possible that there could be a restricted part of this forum, or part of the membership list, where only people who have fully identified themselves in a verifiable way could see the identities of others. I've seen that in professional websites. As a tourist, you see staff names, as a client you get staff CV's, contact info, and so on.
And those who have "fully identified themselves in a verifiable way" do you think are all well balanced / mentally stable / responsible members?

From the few years i have been lurking (am not very active) at Buddhist formus, i strongly doubt that. (and it only takes one to create serious damage)

There may very well be a valid reason to not want to have your personal identity known.

DW is a forum, in a real life sangha the behaviour of quite a few of the posters (am pretty sure - in my experience) would simply not be accepted.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Each has an equal status; at least ideally. If we only post when we are refreshed, this will help to make it a refreshing place to be. Simply a point. What energy each person brings to the table is significant, and helps create the energy of the whole; since words reach people from all over the world - it is a very open discussion, seen by countries all over; this is a very positive aspect, if it is understood well.

Since each word affects everyone that reads it, and each person that reads it is of immeasurable value, both as a human, and as someone who is equally valuable, it would seem clear that it is a source of communication. If we have respect, kindness, truthfulness, stability, peacefulness, and happiness, and have those intentions towards others, it will help serve to create that type of an atmosphere. Simple.

As Dalai said, 'Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.'

If we share peaceful energy, healthful and joyful energy, then that is what we will tend to create in the world - we create this community, by our words and actions - what type of words they are - but more importantly, the energy of the heart behind them, is what impact we will share with the world.

Peacefulness, joyfulness, and light, are generally seen to be the qualities we wish to share with the world, as these are what liberate humanity.

Cultivating these in our heart, helps to bring them into the world.

Sharing these things with others - without making the judgement call of whether they are worthy - tends to be the best path toward creating true and lasting peace, health, joy and life in the world. .

Peace cannot be forced; it's only by patient, calm and consistent sharing of stable, peaceful and kind words, thoughts and actions that it can be created.

Yet once done, it is very possible.

There are innumerable stages of non-regression. This is well worth looking into.

As Thay shares, 'Each step can be a step of joy, a step of peace.'
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

What's that to do with the proposal ? :shrug:

Its a bit like the boy who comes home from church and his granpa says
' What did the preacher preach on ? '
' Sin' replies the lad.
'What did he say ' ? says granpop.
'He was agin' it '.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”