Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Advice forum?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 am 

I remember from my days at E-sangha, there was an advice forum (No, that is not one of the reasons why I am requesting one). Everyone was so helpful and I think that it would be something good if we had an advice forum where we can support one another in our practice through daily life be it problems, family, etc.

:namaste:

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.

Post subject: Re: Advice forum?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am 

Hi Sonrisa,

I will bring this up to the administrators and admins for further discussion.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:30 pm 

I would be against such a thing.

Seeing the esanga board on that issue....I never recall seeing anyone actually helped by anything offered. Mambers may already help others here, if they pray by asking for prayers and such.

The esanga board was almost comical at times. I remember one esanga member writeing on how she thought her neighbor was acting inappropriately as she had mistakeningly had her neighbors car towed from the apartment building where they lived, and her neighbor was unduly upset about that thing and acting in a unbuddhist fashion...She was concerned not about the towing or fact she had towed her neighbors car apparently for no good reason but because her neighbor was upset about it...

I mean....where do you start???

One example but there were generally multiple and few actually helped at all. Good for unintentional comic relief I suppose.

"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:51 am 

Hi Mr. Gordo! Thanks ^_^

Where would I be able to ask questions concerning (personal) practice or just on everyday life in general? I see that most of the threads here seem mostly focused on discussion on philosophy and the matter.

I think it would be awkward for me to waltz into the Mahayana thread to ask whether or not I should take a certain exam or if I need advice on how to explain something to a friend, etc. I dont know if that is what the Lounge thread is for.

But oh well, we will see what happens.

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:59 am 

I guess it would be like a consulting forum which would make it more specific and specialize in helping with personal problems and cultivations that other forums vaguely covered. It wouldn't be a bad idea if possible.

Peace in Chan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 pm 

Hey all,

This is still currently under discussion, but for the time being, "The Lounge" would be the best place for such questions as of right now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:24 am 

Astus has added the sub-forum "Help Required" in "Personal Experience".