Animated GIF's as avatars

How can we improve this forum to better serve our members?

Animated GIF's as avatars

Postby justsit » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:03 pm

There seems to be a proliferation recently of avatars using animated GIF files, both here and on Dhammawheel. They can be very distracting when trying to read a long post, and can be migraine/seizure triggers for those susceptible. May I respectfully suggest they be prohibited? Thank you.
justsit

Re: Animated GIF's as avatars

Postby purple rose » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:48 pm

justsit wrote:There seems to be a proliferation recently of avatars using animated GIF files, both here and on Dhammawheel. They can be very distracting when trying to read a long post, and can be migraine/seizure triggers for those susceptible. May I respectfully suggest they be prohibited? Thank you.

Hi justsit,

I will bring your request to the attention of the staff team. In the meantime it is possible to use "Edit display options" located in "Board preferences" in the User Control Panel (UCP) where you can select "No" to "Display avatars" and/or "Display flash animations" and/or "Display smilies as images".

purple rose

Postby Simon E. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:50 pm

That's useful Tara. I didn't know that you could opt to not have them. I find them very disagreeable.
Simon E.

Postby justsit » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks, Tara, I was not aware of those options either. :thumbsup:
justsit

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 pm

If you're using Firefox you can also block specific avatars with Adblock Plus. Just click the image with the right mouse button and block it.
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme

Postby justsit » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:53 pm

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:If you're using Firefox you can also block specific avatars with Adblock Plus. Just click the image with the right mouse button and block it.

Good to know, thanks.
justsit

Postby justsit » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

A heads up - I changed the settings to "no Flash animation" and am still seeing moving avatars. Perhaps they are not in Flash format (just guessing, not very tech savvy here)?

The Adblock worked in Firefox.
justsit

Postby Tenzin & Söpa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:47 pm

justsit wrote:A heads up - I changed the settings to "no Flash animation" and am still seeing moving avatars. Perhaps they are not in Flash format (just guessing, not very tech savvy here)?

The Adblock worked in Firefox.

Flash animations are a different thing. What you want to block are animated website avatars which are usually gif images. Have you tried ticking off the option "display avatars" in your forum settings?
ཁོང་ཁྲོ་སློང་མཁན་མེད་ན། བཟོད་པ་སུ་ལ་སྒོམ།

When there is no one to provoke anger, how shall we practice patience?
Tenzin & Söpa

Postby justsit » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Well, if possible I'd prefer not block all the static avatars, they are enjoyable...mostly....

But the Adblock worked, so it's OK.
justsit

Return to Suggestion Box