Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Classifying Schools
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:53 pm 

Since DW is changing the structure of the site anyway, I wanted to make a further suggestion. It seems to me that classifying various schools based on recent geographical origin ("Tibetan Buddhism" and "East Asian Buddhism") is less relevant/accurate than classifying based on the type of school or lineage. I propose that the Mahayana forum contain the subforums of Zen, Pure Land, etc, and have a Vajrayana forum containing subforums of the Tibetan schools, plus Shingon and Tendai.

Post subject: Re: Classifying Schools
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 am 

A long time ago in this forum, both Tibetan Buddhism and Shingon were subforums in the Vajrayana section, but then this was changed. I'm not sure why, but perhaps the Shingon practitioners prefer to have their subforum in the East Asian Buddhism section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:08 am 

I wouldn't consider Tendai to be Vajrayana
Shingon sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:56 pm 
Former staff member

Would you exclude Vajrayana from Mahayana? Shingon was removed from the Tibetan area years ago because they are two different systems with different history, and it was suggested by some Shingon followers who found the unending comparisons and such with Tibetan Vajrayana tiresome (IIRC). Tibetan and East Asian exist separately because they are distinct historical developments of Mahayana with several significant differences between the two, while the two groups share a lot within their own area. If anyone wants to discuss this topic about the differences between major Mahayana groups please open a topic for it in the Mahayana forum.

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]