essential tremor

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets, etc.

essential tremor

Postby Jikan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm

I was diagnosed with this some time ago. Basically, it means my hands & feet shake, and my voice sometimes sounds a little strange. I don't have Parkinson's. I just wiggle a little. It's inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing when I have trouble gripping something, or if my handwriting gets out of control. My grandfather had it too. He was able to use a tablesaw until he was about 85 years old, but it was scary toward the end.

There's not much that conventional medicine can offer on this except the usual things (stay healthy, avoid caffeine, manage stress, &c).

I'd like to know if anyone has any insights on this. with this and the migraines, you might understand why the vajra armor practice has a very strong appeal for me.

many thanks in advance.
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5486
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: essential tremor

Postby conebeckham » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Alcohol manages it.

I'm serious.


I have a very wee bit of it, and have since I can recall....and I have it on authority (from a Dr, yes) that alcohol at medicinal levels helps. Of course, that implies a host of other potential pitfalls.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: essential tremor

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Jikan wrote:I was diagnosed with this some time ago. Basically, it means my hands & feet shake, and my voice sometimes sounds a little strange. I don't have Parkinson's. I just wiggle a little. It's inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing when I have trouble gripping something, or if my handwriting gets out of control. My grandfather had it too. He was able to use a tablesaw until he was about 85 years old, but it was scary toward the end.

There's not much that conventional medicine can offer on this except the usual things (stay healthy, avoid caffeine, manage stress, &c).

I'd like to know if anyone has any insights on this. with this and the migraines, you might understand why the vajra armor practice has a very strong appeal for me.

many thanks in advance.


It's a systemic wind disorder of the nervous system.

There are all kinds of things you can do to manage. daily self-massage, a little good wine everyday, etc.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: essential tremor

Postby Jikan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 am

Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm glad to know that the forms of self-medication I've picked up along the way (I've also been advised to imbibe gently but consistently) have some validity.
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5486
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: essential tremor

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 am

Jikan wrote:Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm glad to know that the forms of self-medication I've picked up along the way (I've also been advised to imbibe gently but consistently) have some validity.


There are also a number of effective herbal formulas you can take, pm me and we can talk.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: essential tremor

Postby WuMing » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:08 pm

I wish and pray that you'll find a solution which works for you!
今以佛眼觀之佛與眾生同住解脫之床。無此無彼無二平等。
Now, observing with the eye of the Buddha, both the Buddha and ordinary beings are in the same liberated state. There is neither this nor that: there is only non-duality and identity.
- 空海 Kūkai 弘法大師 in Unjigi 吽字義 The Meaning of the Letter Hūṃ
new translation: Kūkai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi Shingen and Dreitlein Eijō
_______
Our life is very simple, very direct, very beautiful, very vast and very terrifying, but it is not at all convenient.
- Anzan Hoshin Roshi
User avatar
WuMing
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: essential tremor

Postby saraswati » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 pm

I too have essential tremor. The worse thing is having to explain to people, that it is not a scary, progressive condition, no big deal. When I speak in public, many people just assume I am very nervous when they see my hand shaking.

But I guess it is not a hugely heavy condition to have.

Interesting that Malcolm says it is linked to wind. I don't know much of Tibetan medicine but years back I've self-diagnosed as having a Vata imbalance according to Ayurveda.

I don't usually drink, but now that you guys think it may help I may start having a little bit. Off to raid the cupboard now.
Aum Mani Padme Hum
User avatar
saraswati
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 1:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: essential tremor

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 pm

saraswati wrote:
Interesting that Malcolm says it is linked to wind. I don't know much of Tibetan medicine but years back I've self-diagnosed as having a Vata imbalance according to Ayurveda.



Yes, it is a vata/rlung condition connected with the nervous system or so called "white channels".
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am


Return to Wellness, Diet and Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

>