Body follows mind.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets, etc.

Body follows mind.

Postby Simon E. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Good health is always relative.
We each come into the world with a genetic and karmic loading which means that our health will always be limited the optimum for ourselves as individuals.
That said, a diet of Big Macs is probably best avoided by those without the siddhis to deal with that...
But I believe that the most important aspect of a healthy life is our mindset.
I am quite literally old enough to be the grandfather of many members of the forum.
I am as we Brits say , in good nick. I seldom bother my physician apart from being better than him at golf.. :tongue:
And I am completely convinced of one thing. The state of mind we are in when we eat is more important than what we eat.
A meal of lean meat or fish a few carbs and veg, eaten with gratitude and a peaceful mind is far more nutritious and healthy than a meal of tofu eaten in fear and aversion and contempt for humanity.
It is the latter that constricts the arteries and fuels a hormone response which sets up conditions for cells to mutate into degenerative conditions.
Of course a meal of tofu eaten in a state of goodwill and equanimity may be the best option of all.... :smile:
But as in all other aspects of what arises for us, mind is chief.
Simon E.

Re: Body follows mind.

Postby padma norbu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:55 pm

A Big Mac a day keeps the doctor at bay.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm

more like a big mac a day keeps the doctor saying hey :pig:
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby undefineable » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Simon E. wrote:fear and aversion and contempt for humanity.
It is the latter that constricts the arteries and fuels a hormone response which sets up conditions for cells to mutate
It's odd how such a commonsense conclusion has yet to be consistently evidenced :thinking:
"Removing the barrier between this and that is the only solution" {Chogyam Trungpa - "The Lion's Roar"}
undefineable

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 pm

undefineable wrote:
Simon E. wrote:fear and aversion and contempt for humanity.
It is the latter that constricts the arteries and fuels a hormone response which sets up conditions for cells to mutate
It's odd how such a commonsense conclusion has yet to be consistently evidenced :thinking:

Not only is there evidence, the effect of negative emotions on the digestive process has in fact been observed directly. When fear or anger or aversion is present the blood supply partially evacuates from the stomach and it goes from a healthy pink to a pallor.
The long term effects of stress on the functioning of the immune system is well documented, as is the necessity of a functional immune system in dealing with the threats posed by mutating cell growth as well as by bacteria and viruses.
Anger and aversion produce measurable physiological responses..
Ergo...
Simon E.

Postby montana » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 am

The body and food all turn into filth.
When I feel like I'm dying, I'm going to hop straight into the trashcan so it doesn't ruin the carpet when it releases it's bowels. lol
montana

Postby undefineable » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:58 am

I stand corrected.
"Removing the barrier between this and that is the only solution" {Chogyam Trungpa - "The Lion's Roar"}
undefineable

Return to Wellness, Diet and Fitness