in practice chan do I need teacher !

in practice chan do I need teacher !

Postby Arabic Buddhist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 am

Hello dear friends

I think i will practice Chan . Because ( i think ) they practice to Attain Enlightenment in this life . And to born in pure land after this life .

But do i have to find teacher ( face to face ) to practice chan ? Or just learn chan from books and youtube then practice ?
Arabic Buddhist

Re: in practice chan do I need teacher !

Postby Astus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 am

It is better to find a Buddhist community and learn from experienced people, teachers and monks. This is especially true if you are new to Buddhism. But Chan is not restricted in any way for anyone.
"If the Buddha-Nature is seen, there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing."
(Nirvana Sutra, T12n374p521b3; tr Yamamoto)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby seeker242 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 am

Having a real life teacher while practicing Chan is nearly always better than not having one. However, practicing chan with no real life teacher is nearly always better than not practicing it at all.

You could think of it like a university course on some academic subject. (Even though chan is not an academic matter) Can you just buy the book and learn all the class materiel yourself, do the lab experiments yourself, etc? Sure, you can. Does it help to have a university professor teach you the materiel, explain things in the book you are not clear about, answer your questions, give you homework and hold you accountable for completing it? Of course! That is very helpful!

:namaste:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby zengen » Wed May 06, 2015 6:08 am

Yes, I would definitely suggest you to find a good teacher and a good Buddhist community when practicing Chan meditation.

Here, you can find teachers of different traditions, including Chan: http://www.buddhanet.net/masters/index.htm

As you progress in practicing Chan meditation, you may sometimes encounter meditative states. Without a good teacher guiding you, you may become attached to these meditative states, and stop making progress in your practice. These meditative states indicate progress, but they do not mean that you are enlightened, so you need to be vigilant of them. If you don't have a teacher by your side to guide you step by step through your practice, I would suggest you to thoroughly read the Shurangama Sutra. In the sutra, all sorts of meditate states are described so you can recognize these states in your meditation and not attach to these states.

You can read the Shurangama Sutra in English here:
http://www.cttbusa.org/shurangama1/shurangama_contents.asp
zengen

Postby anjali » Wed May 06, 2015 6:23 am

Arabic Buddhist wrote:But do i have to find teacher ( face to face ) to practice chan ? Or just learn chan from books and youtube then practice ?

If there is no nearby Chan center, one option is to go to retreats of varying length that will teach Chan. For example, Dharma Drum Retreat Center offers sessions of varying lengths. If you are a beginner they start with 3- and 5-day retreats, then work up to 7 and 10 day retreats. During those retreats you can have private interviews with the teacher for that retreat and ask questions. I'm only using DDRC as an example. I'm sure other Chan/Zen organizations offer similar opportunities. Find one you like. Completing a couple of Chan retreats--especially the longer ones--would be priceless if you can swing it.
Last edited by anjali on Wed May 06, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
All things are unworthy of clinging to (sabbe dhammā nâla abhinivesāyā). --Shakyamuni Buddha
If there is clinging, you do not have the view. --Drakpa Gyaltsen
anjali

Postby tomamundsen » Wed May 06, 2015 6:25 am

Arabic Buddhist wrote:Hello dear friends

I think i will practice Chan . Because ( i think ) they practice to Attain Enlightenment in this life . And to born in pure land after this life .

But do i have to find teacher ( face to face ) to practice chan ? Or just learn chan from books and youtube then practice ?

I think it's much better to learn from a Ch'an master. From what I understand, Sheng Yen's Dharma Drum Mountain lineage has a good reputation and is established in many places throughout the world. This isn't the actual lineage I practice with, but a good friend does and I have visited their center a couple times and the people were very nice. You can also find a lot of Sheng Yen's videos on YouTube.
tomamundsen

Return to Chan