What are you looking for?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Greg

Re: What are you looking for?

Post by Greg »

ratna wrote:
Greg wrote:You don't happen to know the school do you?
Kathmandu University, apparently: http://www.etsu.edu/cas/philosophy/docu ... rth-CV.doc
Oh, that probably explains it. I'll try ILL but I wouldn't get my hopes up about this one. Probably contacting the author is the only way.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Looking for JIABS 33-1,2 2010. It seems to be floating around but I haven't been able to get a hold of it - any help appreciated.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Greg wrote:Looking for JIABS 33-1,2 2010. It seems to be floating around but I haven't been able to get a hold of it - any help appreciated.
http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ojs/ ... /view/1087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Greg

Post by Greg »

viniketa wrote:
Greg wrote:Looking for JIABS 33-1,2 2010. It seems to be floating around but I haven't been able to get a hold of it - any help appreciated.
http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ojs/ ... /view/1087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Thanks, but I'm not able to access it through their website.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

How about this:
Humour in Pali literature and other essays by Walpola Rahula
?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Greg wrote:Are there out of print books, obscure journal articles, or non-proquest dissertations you have been trying to get your hands on?

Yes full english translation of the Kalachakra Tantra in english.
Michael_Dorfman

Post by Michael_Dorfman »

Son of Buddha wrote:
Greg wrote:Are there out of print books, obscure journal articles, or non-proquest dissertations you have been trying to get your hands on?

Does such a thing exist? The Second and Fourth chapters have been translated by Vesna Wallace, and are available (separately) from Columbia. A draft translation of the Third chapter appears in Jensine Andresen's dissertation "Kalacakra: Textual and Ritual Perspectives", and parts of the First chapter appears in John R. Newman's dissertation "The Outer Wheel of Time: Varjayana Buddhist Cosmology in the Kalacakra Tantra".
I don't know of any translations of the Fifth chapter, or of the remainder of the first chapter untranslated by Newman.

Of course, the Vimalaprabha is available as "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs.

None of the above are terribly difficult to find-- both dissertations are on ProQuest, and the books are in print.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Son of Buddha wrote:

Does such a thing exist? The Second and Fourth chapters have been translated by Vesna Wallace, and are available (separately) from Columbia. A draft translation of the Third chapter appears in Jensine Andresen's dissertation "Kalacakra: Textual and Ritual Perspectives", and parts of the First chapter appears in John R. Newman's dissertation "The Outer Wheel of Time: Varjayana Buddhist Cosmology in the Kalacakra Tantra".
I don't know of any translations of the Fifth chapter, or of the remainder of the first chapter untranslated by Newman.

Of course, the Vimalaprabha is available as "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs.

None of the above are terribly difficult to find-- both dissertations are on ProQuest, and the books are in print.
Good summary, but I think "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs might just be Khedrup Norsang Gyatso's commentary on the Vimalaprabha - not sure if it has the text itself. However, Wallace's 4th chapter features the Vimalaprabha.
Matticus

Post by Matticus »

In "Working Towards Enlightenment" and "To Realize Enlightenment", Master Nan Huai Chin kept quoting from a book, or book serie??(not sure)??, called "Record or Records of Pointing at the Moon" I don't think it's been translated into English, I'd still like to get my hands on a copy though. I'm taking Chinese at my University this fall!
_username_

Post by _username_ »

I would be looking for the transmission mechanism of Buddha to the disciple ananda.
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

Are people still looking for this:
Østensen, Morten. In the Presence of the Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice According to Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug’s Notes on Dza Paltrul’s Extraordinary Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King (mkhas pa shri rgyal po’i khyad chos). M.A. thesis, 2008

If so, please send me a message.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Old e-sangha posts. Were they mirrored anywhere?
(no longer participating on this board)
Greg

Post by Greg »

yegyal wrote:Are people still looking for this:
Østensen, Morten. In the Presence of the Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice According to Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug’s Notes on Dza Paltrul’s Extraordinary Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King (mkhas pa shri rgyal po’i khyad chos). M.A. thesis, 2008

To anyone interested in Dzogchen, I would recommend taking up yegyal on his kind offer. I haven't had a chance to look over the translation yet, but the 50 pg introduction is a highly stimulating survey of the literary history of the Dzogchen literature in general building on Germano's work, the snying thig in particularly, and Garab Dorje's three points especially. Also interesting is the information about Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug, a still-living contemporary of Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok who is apparently held in similarly high regard in Tibet/Western China today.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

yegyal wrote:Are people still looking for this:

Yes yes yes! I'm still deeply interested ! Sent you an pm earlier today!
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Journal of Indian Philosophy
March 1985, Volume 13, Issue 1, pp 55-71

Dharmakīrti on the existence of other minds

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/234442 ... b_contents
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Losal Samten wrote:Journal of Indian Philosophy
March 1985, Volume 13, Issue 1, pp 55-71

Dharmakīrti on the existence of other minds

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/234442 ... b_contents
I'd be very interested in this as well
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Indian International Journal of Buddhist Studies 2014
James Duerlinger 45-77
Śāntarakṣita and Kamalaśīla on the Sāṃkhyas’ Theory of a Self

Indian International Journal of Buddhist Studies 2015
James Duerlinger 63-89
Śāntarakṣita and Kamalaśīla on the Jain Theory of a Self
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Feast of Miracles: the life and tradition of Bodong Chole Namgyal (1375/6-1451 A.D.) according to the Tibetan texts "Feast of Miracles" and "The Lamp Illuminating the History of Bodong"
Hildegard Diemberger, 1997

The Hagiography of Rig 'dzin Rgod kyi ldem 'phru can and Three Historical Questions Emerging from It
Jurgen Wilhelm Herweg, (M.A. thesis), University of Washington, 1994
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Return to “Academic Discussion”