Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm 

In the article “Meditation in Gandhāra”, (Glass, Andrew), posted on the internet, (http://www.buddhism.org/board/read.cgi?board=BuddhistStudies&y_number=40), there is a reference to an illustration not reproduced on the internet, “Fig. 1. A wall-painting from Qizil.” and the text Illustrations of meditation, which attest to the contemporary practice of meditation in Gandhāra are found…

Quote:
“One very clear example of a monk practicing a specific meditation comes from a wall painting in Qizil, Xinjiang. … datable to the 4th and 5th centuries of the Common Era. The painting shows a monk looking at, or perhaps thinking about a human skull.”
which I believe references rt contained in another article, (Rhi Juhyung, “Early Mahāyāna and Gandhāran Buddhism: An Assessment of the Visual Evidence”). This article is not itself on the internet as far as I can find. Does anyone know a location for that art accessible on the web?

I have been delighted to discover the Kushan period in Gandhara, when Buddhism was so involved in discovering and reinventing itself. [a new larger space for the path] It is an obvious model in the past for the West’s struggle to adopt Buddhism to Modernity.

:namaste:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:38 pm 

I don't know about that image in particular, but a Google Image search on "Qizil cave painting" turned up quite a few images of figures seated in meditation (as did "Qizil mural").