Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

A forum for scholastic discussion/debate.

Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

Postby Jayarava » Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm

If anyone is interested I am posting my translation and notes of the MMK as I go as a blog: http://middleway-verses.blogspot.co.uk/ The aim is to read the whole text over the summer - thus keeping me interested and reading Sanskrit until classes start in September.

My aim is to practice my (newly acquired) Sanskrit and learn a little. I only know Madhyamaka in outline and this is a chance to get to know Nāgārjuna. If people just wanted to follow along that's fine, but it might be good if you know this text in Sanskrit to chip in with comments and ideas. Particularly on the grammar front.

My point of view is rooted in a close study of the Kaccānagotta Sutta (in Pāli, Sanskrit and Chinese) in the light of Sue Hamilton's work (Especially as found in her book Early Buddhism: A New Approach). Thus I share some (but not all) assumptions with David Kalupahana. I won't be getting into the arguments of later exegesis if I can help it. I want to try to take the text on face value, and to explore the idea that thinking of Buddhism in terms of experience rather than ontology is a useful hermeneutic principle.

Chapter 1 is complete, and I'm starting chapter 2. This year's classes finish this week and I aim to focus on MMK after that.
Jayarava

Re: Mūlamadhyamaka Kārikā translation

Postby Azidonis » Mon May 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Looks good, so far. One thing to add: When looking at it, the beginning of the book is at the bottom of the page. This is anti-intuitive, and makes reading it a little more task-y.
Azidonis

Postby jeeprs » Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks - interesting. I have found your translations page and comments. I have studied many of the standard English texts and translations of these materials and will follow along. Might make the occasional comment also.
He that knows it, knows it not.
jeeprs

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 pm

I know this hasn't been published yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjunas-Middle-Way-Mulamadhyamakakarika-Classics/dp/1614290504
but I thought I would bring it to your attention, since it looks promising.
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
dzogchungpa

Postby Jayarava » Tue May 14, 2013 5:32 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:I know this hasn't been published yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjunas-Middle-Way-Mulamadhyamakakarika-Classics/dp/1614290504
but I thought I would bring it to your attention, since it looks promising.

It's available in the UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nagarjunas-Middle-Way-Mulamadhyamakakarika-Classics/dp/1614290504
Jayarava

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue May 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Interesting, I wonder why it's not available in the States yet.
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
dzogchungpa

Postby Greg » Wed May 15, 2013 4:03 am

Jayarava wrote:If anyone is interested I am posting my translation and notes of the MMK as I go as a blog: http://middleway-verses.blogspot.co.uk/ The aim is to read the whole text over the summer - thus keeping me interested and reading Sanskrit until classes start in September.

My aim is to practice my (newly acquired) Sanskrit and learn a little. I only know Madhyamaka in outline and this is a chance to get to know Nāgārjuna. If people just wanted to follow along that's fine, but it might be good if you know this text in Sanskrit to chip in with comments and ideas. Particularly on the grammar front.

My point of view is rooted in a close study of the Kaccānagotta Sutta (in Pāli, Sanskrit and Chinese) in the light of Sue Hamilton's work (Especially as found in her book Early Buddhism: A New Approach). Thus I share some (but not all) assumptions with David Kalupahana. I won't be getting into the arguments of later exegesis if I can help it. I want to try to take the text on face value, and to explore the idea that thinking of Buddhism in terms of experience rather than ontology is a useful hermeneutic principle.

Chapter 1 is complete, and I'm starting chapter 2. This year's classes finish this week and I aim to focus on MMK after that.

Thanks, perhaps I will follow along although I will be of no help with language issues.

You may be aware of this title already, but if your interest is primarily Nāgārjuna vis-à-vis śrāvaka teachings, I'd highly recommend Nāgārjuna in Context: Mahāyāna Buddhism and Early Indian Culture by Joseph Walser.
Greg

Return to Academic Discussion