YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Consciousness - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Consciousness

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ron-The-Elder

Re: Consciousness

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:26 pm

So, my question to you is, "How do you differentiate consciousness from awareness. :tongue:

As for me, I am still decidedly confused! :shrug:

Therefore, I have elected to stick with Buddha's definitions of consciousness as they are associated with the six senses.

Buddha's definition seems to be the best so far as I am aware. :tongue:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Pinetree

Postby Pinetree » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Last edited by Pinetree on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinasp

Postby vinasp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi Ron,

I think that it is good for us to ponder on the mystery of consciousness, but trying too hard to understand it can result in confusion and frustration, there is a reason why it is called the 'hard problem.'

Some philosophers have suggested that we may never be able to understand it because it is beyond our cognitive ability.

Ron:- "So, my question to you is, 'How do you differentiate consciousness from awareness?'"

For me, those words mean the same thing and are used in similar ways. They both mean knowing in its wide sense. I think that a more useful distinction would be that between conceptual knowing and non-conceptual knowing.

Ron: - "As for me, I am still decidedly confused!"

And so is everyone else, including all of the experts in various fields some of which you have provided links to. But a mystery does not have to be confusing, one can accept that it is beyond ones understanding at present.

I think that it is good for people with a scientific 'world-view' to see and understand that there are things which science cannot explain.

With kind regards, Vincent.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:11 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.

samseva

Postby samseva » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:25 am

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Makes an Elder? :

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:34 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

samseva

Postby samseva » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Most of the preliminary work required for the discussion is or will be careful defining, and distinguishing semantics. If you skip this step, you'll either run around in circles and get nowhere or have to write 10 times the amount of text. Just a small suggestion.

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Spiny: Your point is well taken, and also addressed by HHDL when asked during an interview, "How do you feel when science disagrees with Buddhist teachings?" Surprisingly, His Holiness responded to the effect that scientific facts discovered trump antiquated Buddhist teachings.

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/buddh ... crossroads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following WIKI discusses this topic at length:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_science" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....and, not too surprisingly brings up Buddha's dissertation to The Kalamas in The Kalama Sutta, also know as Buddhas Charter of Free Inquiry, which describes modern science to a T.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el008.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:53 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:02 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:04 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:09 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

samseva

Postby samseva » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:32 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:58 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:44 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

Return to “Lounge”