Where to go in San Francisco for "Pointing Out" instr?

omph

Where to go in San Francisco for "Pointing Out" instr?

Post by omph »

I have been studying and practicing Thrangu Rinpoche's mahamudra teachings for several years on my own and I would like to receive a pointing out instruction somewhere locally in the bay area by a qualified teacher. I don't know what center offers these teachings/transmission locally. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
ngodrup

Re: Where to go in San Francisco for "Pointing Out" instr?

Post by ngodrup »

There are SO many Kagyu and Nyingma Lamas here in the SFBA!
I'm inclined to say "anywhere" in answer to your question.
Generally, though, this will require a relationship of mutual trust.
krodha

Post by krodha »

catlady2112 wrote:I have been studying and practicing Thrangu Rinpoche's mahamudra teachings for several years on my own and I would like to receive a pointing out instruction somewhere locally in the bay area by a qualified teacher. I don't know what center offers these teachings/transmission locally. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Drubpon Rinpoche (Drikung Kagyu) in SF. Not sure what his center is called, I'll find out, he's highly recommended! I'm trying to meet him soon I think he's been out of the country temporarily.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

In my experience, you don't ask for pointing out instructions, your teacher decides you are ready for them and gives them to you. I can't say that's the unversal rule, however, it's just my experience.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Jinzang wrote:In my experience, you don't ask for pointing out instructions, your teacher decides you are ready for them and gives them to you. I can't say that's the unversal rule, however, it's just my experience.
I don't want to sound unsympathetic and perhaps your situation is somehow special, but instructions on the nature of mind are precious and it might do you good to inconvenience yourself a little and travel to make a connection with a good mahamudra or dzogchen teacher. Reading the life stories of great siddhas like Naropa, Marpa or Milarepa could help frame your aspirations in a way that would be of more benefit than grasping after something you may not be prepared to understand.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yes, what Silent Bob says is true. But also, are you looking for pointing out specifically from a Mahamudra lineage holder? Or from a Dzogchen lineage holder too?

Because Lama Tharchin Rinpoche's main center is not far from you and he is often giving teachings on Dzogchen. Some are restricted to more senior disciples, and some are more open. And then there is this below event, happening very soon at Pema Osel Ling, Lama Tharchin's center, with one of the great Nyingma masters of our time. This teaching of Garab Dorje is considered the original primordial pith of pointing-out from the Dzogchen lineage:

http://www.vajrayana.org/index.php?cID=226

Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche at Pema Osel Ling

April 19-20, 2013

Photo courtesy of Orgyen Dorje Den

We are extraordinarily grateful that Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche will visit Pema Osel Ling this April 19-20 to teach, at the request of Lama Tharchin Rinpoche, on Garab Dorje's Three Words that Strike the Vital Point.

Garab Dorje, the first human lineage-holder of the Dzogchen Great Perfection teachings -- he had received the Dzogchen transmissions directly from Vajrasattva and Vajrapani -- gave his final testament to his chief disciple Manjushrimitra after his parinirvana. Known as the Three Words that Strike the Vital Point (Tsik Sum Né Dek), it synthesizes the Great Perfection’s view, meditation and action in three pith instructions:

*One is introduced directly to one's true nature
*One attains certainty about this natural state
*One continues with confidence in liberation

To hear the Dzogchen teachings has the ability to bring liberation in this single body, in this single life. That is why they are so special. We hope you are able to join us for this teaching with Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche, who is a Dzogchen master. We are also very fortunate that Sangye Khandro will translate.

The schedule is confirmed as follows:

Friday, April 19 6:30-8:30 PM
Saturday, April 20 11:00 – 1:00 PM and 3:00 – 5:00 PM
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

ngodrup wrote: Generally, though, this will require a relationship of mutual trust.
:good:

When you have a relationship with a teacher, or "teachers" there will be these kind of
opportunities; with that said, there is a short video with a teaching
from Bardor Tulku Rinpoche a Kagyu Lama:

The importance of karmic connection in the recognition of mind's nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOfvpBvk ... ata_player
cataractmoon

Post by cataractmoon »

Catlady,

Your best bet is to locate a time when Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche from KTD Woodstock will be in the San Francisco area or in California for his current teachings on Khenpo Gangshar's Mahumudra. Here is the KTD link to centers in California: http://www.kagyu.org/kagyulineage/centers/usa/index.php

I received the lung and tri when he visited KTC Wichita. If you wish to have an interview with him, I would wait until have he gives the reading transmission, particularly during the pointing-out instruction. You then can speak to him about what you experienced, if anything. He may give you some tips on how to practice the teaching.

Best of luck to you!

Catarctmoon

Return to “Mahamudra”