Mahamudra and tantra

lama tsewang
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby lama tsewang » Sat May 18, 2013 6:06 am

somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby heart » Sat May 18, 2013 6:47 am

lama tsewang wrote:somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang


Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

muni
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby muni » Sat May 18, 2013 11:11 am

The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.
Start identifying with that which knows and stop identifying with the known.

What you must do is to rest in the spaciousness
Of the equality of appearance emptiness.

User avatar
anjali
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby anjali » Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 pm

heart wrote:
lama tsewang wrote:somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang


Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus


This quote by Berzin has bearing on this issue (http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... gchen.html):
Whether on the gross, subtle, or subtlest clear light level, the nature of mental activity remains the same. Mahamudra (phyag-chen, great seal) practice, found in the Kagyu, Sakya, and Gelug/Kagyu traditions, focuses on this nature. The Kagyu and Gelug/Kagyu traditions have both sutra and anuttarayoga tantra levels of the practice, while Sakya only an anuttarayoga one. In other words, Sakya mahamudra focuses only on the nature of clear light mental activity, while the other two traditions include focus on the nature of the other levels of mental activity as well.

Rigpa shares the same nature as the three levels of mental activity analyzed by the non-dzogchen schools. Dzogchen practice, however, is exclusively done on the highest level of tantra and deals only with the subtlest level of mental activity. Moreover, dzogchen does not focus merely on the conventional and deepest natures of rigpa, but also on its various aspects and facets.
All things are unworthy of clinging to (sabbe dhammā nâla abhinivesāyā). --Shakyamuni Buddha
If there is clinging, you do not have the view. --Drakpa Gyaltsen

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby heart » Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm

muni wrote:The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.


Of course.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

whitedragon
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Postby whitedragon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Realization of Mahamudra is one of the fruition stages of advanced tantric practices. This subject is so very vast with numerous schools and traditions.


Return to “Mahamudra”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests