Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Mahamudra and tantra
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:06 am 

somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:47 am 

lama tsewang wrote:
somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang

Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:11 am 

The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 pm 

heart wrote:
lama tsewang wrote:
tsewang

Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus

This quote by Berzin has bearing on this issue (http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... gchen.html):
Quote:
Whether on the gross, subtle, or subtlest clear light level, the nature of mental activity remains the same. Mahamudra (phyag-chen, great seal) practice, found in the Kagyu, Sakya, and Gelug/Kagyu traditions, focuses on this nature. The Kagyu and Gelug/Kagyu traditions have both sutra and anuttarayoga tantra levels of the practice, while Sakya only an anuttarayoga one. In other words, Sakya mahamudra focuses only on the nature of clear light mental activity, while the other two traditions include focus on the nature of the other levels of mental activity as well.

Rigpa shares the same nature as the three levels of mental activity analyzed by the non-dzogchen schools. Dzogchen practice, however, is exclusively done on the highest level of tantra and deals only with the subtlest level of mental activity. Moreover, dzogchen does not focus merely on the conventional and deepest natures of rigpa, but also on its various aspects and facets.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm 

muni wrote:
The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.

Of course.

/magnus