Hi from Texas

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
MrBrad

Hi from Texas

Post by MrBrad »

I first found the sister theravata site and they kindly referred me to over here since I am Mahayana.

I attend the new Kadampa tradition temple in Arlington TX, which is in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex in North Texas. I do not wish to trouble anyone, but I have a couple of questions. First some background:

I have long studied philosophy and religion. For many years I studied Buddhism as an academic effort. I did buy into the practice of observing the activity of my mind and suppressing the more destructive thoughts that arise. In Feb 2010 I found myself somehow deepened in Buddhism. I lost weight and became much more tolerant of cold and pain.

I studied more, and as I came to understand what it really meant to be enlightened and what it would really take to do that I had the thought that the effort was not worth it for just me. But, that it was worth it for the benefit I could bring to all beings. Thus, I arrived at the thought that I wanted to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all living beings.

More recently I have become more resolved and to pursue this goal.

I have two concerns:

1) I seem to be progressing but do not really know what I am doing.
2) I have serious faults and thus find any attainment somewhat disturbing in that context

I have very recently begun a daily Lamrim practice which will help me uproot my faults rather than me trying to suppress them by force of will. However, I still have two questions:

1) Given these experiences what are the next logical steps? What should I do next?
2) Do I need a Guru to guide me on the path, or it is reasonable and appropriate for me to feel my way through?

Brad
SSJ3Gogeta

Re: Hi from Texas

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

I recommend you log on to the next open Dzogchen Community webcast.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

The topic from the Announcement forum has been merged into this one and the duplicate post has been deleted.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
Caz

Post by Caz »

MrBrad wrote:I first found the sister theravata site and they kindly referred me to over here since I am Mahayana.

I attend the new Kadampa tradition temple in Arlington TX, which is in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex in North Texas. I do not wish to trouble anyone, but I have a couple of questions. First some background:

I have long studied philosophy and religion. For many years I studied Buddhism as an academic effort. I did buy into the practice of observing the activity of my mind and suppressing the more destructive thoughts that arise. In Feb 2010 I found myself somehow deepened in Buddhism. I lost weight and became much more tolerant of cold and pain.

I studied more, and as I came to understand what it really meant to be enlightened and what it would really take to do that I had the thought that the effort was not worth it for just me. But, that it was worth it for the benefit I could bring to all beings. Thus, I arrived at the thought that I wanted to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all living beings.

More recently I have become more resolved and to pursue this goal.

I have two concerns:

1) I seem to be progressing but do not really know what I am doing.
2) I have serious faults and thus find any attainment somewhat disturbing in that context

I have very recently begun a daily Lamrim practice which will help me uproot my faults rather than me trying to suppress them by force of will. However, I still have two questions:

1) Given these experiences what are the next logical steps? What should I do next?
2) Do I need a Guru to guide me on the path, or it is reasonable and appropriate for me to feel my way through?

Brad

MrBrad

I would suggest you engage with your resident teacher :)
Lamrim is a very good method for uprooting our faults it is as good to become as familiar as possible with it and take it deeply into your mind and life.
:namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Brad,

Welcome to DharmaWheel.

Yes, you'll need a teacher. I'd look for a teacher outside the NKT. Take your time and explore. There are many opportunities in your part of the country, which is fortunate!

Everyone has serious faults. Use them as motivation to learn and grow and develop. The Buddhist teachings have many specific methods for dealing with such hindrances as hatred, greed, and so on. It is good to recognize those bad habits in order to work with them effectively. Your teacher can guide you through this process.

What to do next? Read what interests you, but read widely throughout the Mahayana world, across traditions. Visit many different temples and practice groups. Introduce yourself to teachers in your area. When you find one you can work with, one who will take you as a student, you'll have your direction.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Hey brad welcome to the board.

How do we check ourselves that is avery common question people ask am I progressing or otherwise..

And Rinpoche put it like this if we find ourselves more willing to do things that benefit others, and willing to do something beneficial at any time or moment it is a good indication we are slowly overcoming our selfish mind. Mind transformation is the essence of why we practice buddhism.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Welcome

And I'd study the Lam Rim Chen Mo repeatably. Take a couple days to read and reread each chapter. Thinking about the meaning throughout the day.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Introductions”