What a great place!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

What a great place!

Postby Hamsaka » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Been reading here for several days, mostly ending up here when doing searches on various dhamma talks and terms. I love the unrestrained while thoughtful and kind exchange of ideas I'm seeing, this forum is seriously bursting with activity.

I am not (perhaps just yet) a big 'joiner' to groups, although there are several well established sanghas in my city. I work swing shift as an RN and this limits my available time. I don't ascribe to a particular Buddhist tradition, even 'secular Buddhism', but find incredible affinity with all. Especially, living the dhamma each moment of my completely lay life, while caring for patients, my hobby farm of critters, being with family and friends, and in my obsession with spinning miles of yarn from raw fleeces fresh off the backs of the animal.

Religious ritual has always been a kind of obstacle to me, even when I was a Christian (read: failing utterly to be), and I've secretly envied those who find such meaning in it. It has occurred to me my life IS naught but ritual, and imposing further ritual upon it just gets spat out due to fullness.

Thanks for reading my intro :smile:

Gassho,

Little Goose
Hamsaka

Re: What a great place!

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 am

Welcome, Hamsaka :hi:
All sorts of people hang out here and I'm sure you will find lots of support and inspiration.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 am

Welcome! Dharma Wheel is the best Buddhist forum in my view and I hope you enjoy it.

Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby dimeo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Welcome! And IMHO one of the things that makes this place so great is people like you with enthusiasm and thoughtful things to share! :twothumbsup:
Looking forward to some interesting discussion with you....
dimeo

Postby Jikan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi Little Goose,

Welcome to DharmaWheel! I hope you find what you seek...
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Hamsaka » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcoming posts. I've been reading in my spare time here, and find it's a very special way to learn the Dharma. This next week I'm on a staycation, which I do about every two months to keep a balance of self care and other care (I'm an oncology or cancer nurse). So, I'm able to meditate more frequently as well as immerse myself in more teachings (audio and video abound on the internet) and reading the books I keep downloading to Kindle.

I am naturally analytical and introspective, but have lived a life that didn't exactly immerse me with others with similar temperaments. I admit while reading some of the conversations here I end up not knowing if I'm coming or going :D which is kind of exciting. Up until 'formally' committing myself to daily meditation and the discipline of a Buddhist life, I saw the Dharma poking out at me everywhere. Which it already IS, I realize now, it's been my sensitivity to it growing over the course of my life.

I'll be jumping into conversations, and look forward to the challenges I will receive, directly and indirectly. It's like I'm eating food that finally makes my body feel satisfied and at rest. My 'me me me' self is another story and it's jagged edges are painful when they are discovered.

Thanks to all who are reading
Gassho
LG
Hamsaka

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:yinyang:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby lobster » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm

My 'me me me' self is another story . . .

. . . another form of yarn spinning to share . . .

Look forward to your spin on things . . . :woohoo:
lobster

Return to Introductions