YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

I am Someone Else - Dhamma Wheel

I am Someone Else

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Yana

I am Someone Else

Postby Yana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 am

I have a question.

If we are not our bodies,or thoughts or feelings etc..

would it be correct to treat this body and our life as if it were someone else's?

I know this sounds very sci fi..and makes me think of an alien invading someones body and thoughts or like a puppet being pulled with strings.

For example when i see this life as my own..this body as my own..this feeling as my own i tend to get to deeply attached..and i get lost in it...what i want ...what i need...what i hate...my painful sufferings..like getting churned into something before realizing hey wait a minute...this isnt me...

But the moment i don't think of it as my own i feel a sense of detachment...and when i am detached i see things more objectively...and it's much easier for me to be disciplined and self controled..as i feel like i am controlling someone else not myself...since it's hard for me to grasp the idea that i don't exist...do you think it's healthy to think of it as...
"I do exist but this isn't me".

It's just much easier to think this is not me this is B.Then this not me this is empty.

Do you think this is beneficial or not.

I hope you can understand what i mean as the idea just came to me.Any thoughts..

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death

Reductor

Re: I am Someone Else

Postby Reductor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:43 am

Do you treat the property of others as well as you do your own?

Most people do not. If you find it difficult to care for what belongs to others, then I'd caution you against adopting this attitude toward 'your' body. It will not last long if not treated with the highest regard.

Besides, the core of your trouble remains, even if you effect a division between yourself and the physical body/world. What happens when the remaining sense of you is threatened in some fashion? Suffering still comes up.

Best to adopt the position that there is nothing (at all) worth calling 'myself' and nothing worth calling 'mine', rather than saying this is 'myself', and it controls some other thing which is not.

Its more important to see that nothing is worth clinging to, instead of constantly trying say you don't exist.

intex

Postby intex » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 am

Hello Yana,

I think I understand what you mean and that it can be beneficial to regard oneself as that 'other one' who is closest (so to speak). This body is not 'here in the center' because it is 'mine' but because its senses are that because of which there is seeing, hearing etc.

I agree that regarding oneself just as 'closest other' ('this one') who needs to be tamed (like a wild animal) can help to exercise restraint.

Greetings

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:12 pm

manas

Postby manas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

manas

Postby manas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”