Hi All

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Hi All

Postby DashLunde » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:21 am

Just did my first post in the forums, I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself here.
I'm a 22-year-old psychology student in New York, and I got interested in Buddhism last semester in an Eastern religions class. What struck me were the similarities between psychotherapeutic practices and Buddhism. Mindfulness is a technique used in both, and psychoanalysis (especially that of Carl Jung) emphasizes finding a wholeness of our self in which all sides, light and dark, good and evil, are seen as one, which reminds me very much of the Buddhist world-view. I wasn't raised in any religion really, and I've recently been looking for a system of belief to fill that void. I've been going through therapy and breaking down a lot of the ways I used to view the world, but I'd now like a new one. I haven't decided to convert to Buddhism as of yet, but I'm very much interested in learning as much as I can about it, if for no other reason than to appreciate a belief system that prefigured so much of what I'm currently studying in my career path.
Best,
Dash
DashLunde

Re: Hi All

Postby Jikan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 am

Hi Dash,

Welcome to the board. Good news: NY is a good place to be if you're interested in finding out more about Buddhism first hand.

I wish you all the best in your path.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 am

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby lobster » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 am

:hi:

Was intrigued to read of things such as
(MBSR)
here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_psychology
There seems to be some excellent initiatives . . . :twothumbsup:

Wishing you every success in your studies :thumbsup:
lobster

Postby waimengwan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:44 am

Welcome and wishing you all the best! Would be interesting to know what how you blend Western medical science and Buddhism together :)_.
waimengwan

Return to Introductions