YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"Venerable" VS. "Most Venerable" - Dhamma Wheel

"Venerable" VS. "Most Venerable"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mirco

"Venerable" VS. "Most Venerable"

Postby mirco » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi :-),

as far as I know, every Bhikkhu/Bhikkhuni should be adressed with "Venerable".

But what then is a "Most Venerable"?

And by the way, what is a "High Holiness"?

:-)regards
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

Cittasanto

Re: "Venerable" VS. "Most Venerable"

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Most venerable ?? only know of one person who uses that or it is applied to by their disciples.

highest holiness?? never heard that being used for anyone.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Never heard of either.

Stiphan

Postby Stiphan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:10 pm

At one time I used the name "Venerable Pesala" in line with the Sri Lankan tradition.

Later, when I found out the real usage of in the Christian tradition, I dropped it in favour of "Bhikkhu Pesala." In the Thai tradition they would use "Pesala Bhikkhu."

Its not of much importance — people can address monks as "Reverend" or "Venerable" if they feel comfortable with that, but IMO the best these days is to use the Pali word "Bhante." Its unambiguous, and understood by all Theravāda tradition, even if not widely used in Theravāda countries.

In Burma, they address monks as "Ashin Piya" or "Sayādaw", In Thailand they use "Ajahn" and in Sri Lanka they use "Hamudru" or "Sādhu."

"Bhante" is the vocative form used only when speaking directly to a bhikkhu. Saying, "I went to see Bhante Pesala" would be incorrect — one should say, "I went to see Bhikkhu Pesala."
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm

mirco

Postby mirco » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm

"High Holiness" I mixed up with the title "His Holiness", the official style or manner of address used in reference to the leaders of certain religious groups. (Wiki)

But regarding Most Venerable google the following and you will see what I mean:

+"most venerable" +buddh

There are many :-)

But I think, David may be right. Somehow the Maha from Maha Thera made it from behind the name before it.

:-)regards
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Just a comment that any long-term monk is a Maha Thera. It's not a special title.
Here http://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/mah ... index.html it says 20 rains (I remembered it as 10, but presumably I was mistaken).

:anjali:
Mike

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:06 am

Last edited by Cittasanto on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:27 am

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”